Benefits for All Employees
Our benefits program reflects just how important we believe our employees are to the success of the Red River Valley & Western Railroad. RRVW takes great pride in its employees and is committed to providing a comprehensive benefits package to them.
- Health, dental, and vision insurance with a company contribution towards family coverage
- Flexible benefits including dependent care plan and medical expense reimbursement plan
- Paid time off for vacation and company holidays
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability
- Employee assistance program
- Incentive compensation (profit sharing) and employee 401k
- Railroad retirement vs. social security
- Railroad retirement benefits far exceed social security retirement benefits—just ask us about it
- Personal protective equipment (PPE) annual fund
- Extended leave bank included
- Safety incentive program provided
- An extensive Wellness Program that includes gym membership, tobacco cessation, tuition reimbursement and many more
Requirements for All Employees
In order to drive company vehicles, which most employees are required to do from time to time, you need to be insurable with RRVW’s insurance company.
All positions are subject to pre-employment drug testing and most positions are also subject to random drug and alcohol testing. In order to operate a locomotive or work as a conductor, you are put in a random drug and alcohol testing pool along with the rest of the employees who work in the Transportation department. We also have random testing pools for CDL drivers and for drivers of vehicles between 10,000 and 26,000 pounds.
All people hired for train service will become qualified engineers. The federal government has guidelines for hearing and vision qualifications. Engineers must be able to distinguish colors (red and green) and must have an acceptable hearing level. Please be aware that if you do not meet these qualifications, you may not be eligible to become a certified engineer.
Reference checks and citizenship verification are performed before a candidate can be hired.
Pre-employment physicals are required before hiring.
Select an opening from below, or alternatively you may download our general application (PDF, 389.52 KB), print it out, fill it in, and then mail it to:
Manager - Human Resources
Red River Valley & Western Railroad
P.O. Box 608
Wahpeton, ND 58074
EEO COMPLIANCE: “This contractor and subcontractor shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR §§ 60‐1.4(a), 60‐300.5(a) and 60‐741.5(a). These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, or national origin. Moreover, these regulations require that covered prime contractors and subcontractors take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability.”